Vegan Cashew Mac n Cheese
1/2 cup cashew butter
1 cup almond milk
1/2 cup nutritional yeast
1 teaspoons dijon mustard
2 teaspoons minced garlic (jarred)
1 tablespoon coconut aminos
sea salt + pepper to taste + paprika
12 ounces gluten-free penne
1 cup vegan mozzarella or parmesan shreds
1/2 cup gluten-free bread crumbs
Fresh thyme to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350 F and spray an 9 inch round baking pan with cooking spray. Or use a 9x9 square dish.
2. Prepare penne pasta according to instructions, reserving about 1/2 cup of pasta water once done cooking.
3. In a high powered blender, combine cashew butter, almond milk, nutritional yeast, dijon mustard, garlic, coconut aminos and seasonings. Blend until smooth then set aside.
4. Once pasta is done pour into the baking dish. Then mix in the cheese sauce until fully combined. Add in a touch of pasta water if sauce feels too dry. I added about 1/4 cup total.
5. Top with vegan cheese shreds and breadcrumbs. Bake in the oven for about 15 minutes. Serve with fresh thyme on top and enjoy immediately!
Recipe by Selena @thenutritiouskitchen