Shortbread Pie Base
2 cups finely ground almond flour
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/4 cup melted vegan butter or coconut oil
1/4 cup coconut sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Caramel Apple Layer
1/4 cup cashew butter
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup date syrup or maple syrup
4 small apples, sliced
Handful of candied pecans
Sea salt to taste
1. Set oven to 350 Fahrenheit and line an 8×8 baking pan with parchment paper and set aside.
2. Prepare the shortbread layer by mixing together the almond flour, sea salt, melted coconut oil, coconut sugar, and vanilla extract. A crumbly texture will form, use your hands if needed to make sure it’s all mixed thoroughly.
3. Press the shortbread dough into the parchment-lined dish and bake for 10 minutes. Set aside and allow to completely cool.
4. While the shortbread is cooling, prepare the caramel apple layer. In a medium skillet, warm the coconut oil, maple syrup, and date syrup over medium-high heat. The caramel mixture will begin to bubble within a minute or two. Whisk and immediately turn off the heat, careful not to burn!
5. Place sliced apples over the shortbread crust layer, then drizzle with the caramel sauce. Reserve some of the caramel sauce for topping. Paleo Caramel Apple Pie Bars
6. Top the caramel apple layer with remaining shortbread crumble and candied pecans. Cover with foil so the pecans don’t burn and place back in the oven.
7. Bake for 20 minutes then allow to cool for 10 minutes. Place in the refrigerator and allow to cool for two hours before slicing. This is an important step! You can alternatively prep the night before and leave in the fridge overnight.
8. Slice into squares, drizzle with extra caramel and enjoy!
Recipe by Selena @thenutritiouskitchen
Back to Dessert Recipes