These secretly healthy Millionaire Bars made by our friend Claire from Secretly Healthy Home are made with a vegan salted caramel sauce and an oat flour shortbread cookie base. They happen to be gluten-free, vegan, and perfectly delicious! The vegan salted caramel sauce is made with dates in a blender or food processor. Grab all the yummy details below and enjoy!
6 Tbs Coconut Sugar
⅛ tsp Pink Himalayan Salt
½ tsp Baking Powder
4½ Tbs Melted Refined Coconut Oil (can sub vegan butter, grass-fed butter, or ghee)
1½ tsp Vanilla Extract
6 Tbs Plant-Based Milk
1 Cup Pitted Medjool Dates
¼ Cup Reserved Date Water
⅓ Cup Georgia Grinders Almond Butter
⅛-¼ tsp Pink Himalayan Salt (depending on how salty you like it)
Optional: 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
½ Cup Dairy-Free Dark Chocolate Chips (or chopped chocolate bar)
1 tsp Coconut Oil (can sub vegan butter, grass-fed butter, or ghee)
1. Place dates in boiling water to soak.
2. Line 1.5 quart baking dish with parchment paper and preheat oven 350 F.
3. In a medium bowl, combine oat flour, coconut sugar, pink Himalayan salt, and baking powder.
4. Next, add in coconut oil, vanilla extract, and milk. Mix until dough forms (allow to sit for 3 minutes to allow oats to absorb liquid).
5. Transfer to baking dish and press into an even layer (wet your hands or a spatula or cover hands in cling wrap to avoid sticking). Bake at 350 F. for 20-24 minutes until set on top and browned.
6. Make filling in blender or food processor by adding all ingredients and blending until smooth (doesn’t have to be perfectly smooth, just make sure there aren’t any lumps of dates). Scrape down sides when needed.
7. Place caramel layer on top of shortbread layer (you don’t have to wait till it’s cooled) and place in freezer while you melt chocolate (I placed mine on hot pad since it was still hot from the oven).
8. Combine chocolate chips and coconut oil in small bowl and melt using microwave or double boiler. If microwaving melt in 20-second intervals stirring between each. Spread melted chocolate over caramel layer and place back in freezer to set at least 40 minutes - 1 hour.
9. Cut and sprinkle with flaky sea salt (makes 15 bars). Store in freezer up to 3 months (Eat straight from freezer!)